Google Analytics

School Safety Shield

School Safety Shield
Non en Meus Vigilo!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Some thoughts before passing judgement

Pinellas County, Florida

"School Bus Driver Stood by During Beating," screams the headline.  A 13-year old boy is savagely attacked on the bus by three older boys, right behind the bus driver.  They kick and punch as the driver, calling dispatch on his radio, stands by and watches helplessly.  The victim ended up with two black eyes and a broken arm.

The driver, John Moody, is 64 years old.  He followed his district's policy by radioing dispatch.  Policy says he can then intervene, if he felt safe.  Three very violent teens against a 64-year old man?  I wouldn't feel safe.

It is easy to sit in the comfort of our homes and judge a man entrusted to get kids to and from school safely.  We didn't have to face Grossman's "ultimate phobia", interpersonal violence.  I was an Infantry Drill Sergeant in the US Army.  I taught basic hand-to-hand combat to soldiers.  Yet even I would pause at taking on three young thugs.  In my prime, I wouldn't have hesitated.  I was secure in my abilities, and in my physical prowess.  Not so much now.

Nearing 50, I have had multiple abdominal surgeries for Crohn's Disease leaving me with little muscle left, and only thin nylon mesh keeping my innards from spilling out.  I have an aortic aneurysm that inches closer to popping every month.  A solid blow to my chest may rupture it, killing me.  My spine, after years of helmets, rucksacks and lots and lots of abuse, is failing.  I've already had one fusion surgery.  More is in my future as I have deteriorating disk disease and osteo-arthritis.  My spirit is very willing, but my flesh is weak, and getting weaker year by year.

If I were driving the bus, what would I have done?  I wouldn't have taken three young men on.  Maybe I would have thrown myself over the victim and tried to absorb the punishment meant for him, and possibly have died in the process.  Who then would care for the rest of the children on the bus?

What is the solution?  I would rather address this issue before it gets to the life-or-death decision point.  There is training that can be provided so that adults can recognize impending violence.  Early intervention can possibly prevent an assault.  As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

In May of 2014, Staying Alive, a book I co-authored with the Safe Havens, International team, can provide you with the means of being able to see the signs of impending violence, and possibly head off assaults before they occur.

There were two victims in this tragic story.  The boy with the physical and emotional injuries from his savage beating, and the driver, who watched, helpless, as the boy for who he was responsible was injured before his very eyes.  He suffers symptoms of PTSD, and retired from driving two weeks after the assault.

Before you judge Moody, obtain a CDL, become a driver of a school bus, and become responsible for up to 75 children in a metal tube that travels on the road at speeds of up to 55mph.  Then tell me what experience you have had in confronting personal aggression.  Then, I might listen to your judgement.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment