Google Analytics

School Safety Shield

School Safety Shield
Non en Meus Vigilo!

Friday, June 8, 2012

How Old is Too Old?

WISH TV posted a story looking into the age of school bus drivers, and it subsequently appeared here.

I have the privilege and honor of being the Director of Transportation of my school corporation.  There are over 40 drivers in our fleet, and some of them are over 60 years old.   Having seen for myself the driving capabilities of my drivers, I can honestly say that considering their driving skills impaired because they are old would be a mistake, and a dis-service to some very talented, dedicated drivers.

Driving a school bus is not like driving a race car, or a fighter jet.  What is more important for driving a school bus is not hand-eye coordination, or speed of movement.  What is important is good judgement, and experience.  My drivers provide that, in spades.

Setting a maximum driving age for school bus drivers would be a great error.  Individual physical and mental capacities diminish at varying rates, and there is a dearth of qualified bus drivers as it is.  Instead, Directors of Transportation such as myself should be monitoring and assessing the skills of their drivers as individuals, documenting deficiencies, and removing drivers who can no longer safely convey children.

Blanket provisions, at this point, are not the way to go.

I would have no qualms at all having my youngest ride any bus in my fleet, and quite a few in many fleets.

Facebook

Our Forum On

No comments:

Post a Comment